Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Introductions

Living with bipolar disorder is hard to wax poetic about. That's not even a grammatically correct sentence with which to begin this blog.

I am hypomanic tonight. Bipolar Type II. My mind is racing faster than I can possibly type. I'm agitated, irritable and feeling an incredible high from the most mundane task. Sorting the papers accumulated on my desk over the past several months was exhilerating. I actually left a meeting early so I could get back to my task. Then I stayed about 30 minutes too late because I needed to -- NEEDED TO -- create a form in Word. It was essential.

This afternoon I was in the drive thru at Wendy's contemplating a career change to truck driving all because of the improper way a large vehicle back out of a space. I am an excellent backer outer and it must pay better than social work, right?

So here's the backstory. Diagnosed with depression in 1994 and put on Prozac. Spent a year and half growing increasingly manic, hit rock bottom very hard when a nasty breakup landed me in the hospital, and then received the appropriate diagnosis. Well, I didn't learn about the Type II for several years. Still, I went onto the right meds and pulled it together enough to get through graduate school.

I spiraled downward into a dark place, lost my job because I was incapable of asking for help and sunk deeper without health insurance and the appropriate medication. I made horrible choices and ended up in deep debt.

Remeron and Depakote didn't work. I briefly went onto Topamax which reduced my cognitive functioning -- I simply could not think and I am hard wired to think. Looking back, I may have jumped too quickly on that med as it probably just slowed my thinking down to a normal level.

Fast forward and I ended up on Lamictal. It worked for awhile and then it did not. I experienced a series of mixed states over the course of a year. I finally broke down and agreed to take Lithium which helped for awhile and then it did not. I have not been well for over a year although I am functioning somewhat.

I have a new psychiatrist who specialized in women's mental health. She tweeked my meds a bit so I am now on Lamictal, Lithium, Trazadone and Klonopin. The Trazadone is supposed to help with my sleep. It doesn't seem to be working although I am a tad drowsy.

Blah, blah, blah. I started this blog because I'd like to write about my illness, but I have internalized the stigma of mental illness and struggle with coming out.

1 comment:

  1. Good news to everyone out there with different health challenges, as I know there are still a lot of people suffering from different health issues and are therefore looking for solutions. I bring you Good news. There is a man called Dr James, a herbal practitioner who helped me to cure Hiv virus, i have suffered from this disease for the past 5 years and I have spent so much money trying to survive from it. I got my healing by taking the herbal medicine Dr James sent to me to drink for about 14 days . 3 days after completion of the dosage, I went for a medical checkup and I was tested Hiv negative. all thanks to God for leading me to Dr james who was able to cure me completely from this deadly diseases, I’m sharing this so that other people can know of this great healer called Dr James because I got to know him through Mr Anderson, who he cured from Genital Herpes Virus. I was made to understand that he can cure several other deadly diseases and infections. Don’t die in ignorance or silence and don’t let that illness take your life.Dr James has cures for diseases like BIPOLAR DISORDER,..DIABETES,NEPHROTIC SYNDROME MOUTH HERPES, MOUTH CANCER , MUSCLE ACHES, LUPUS, SKIN CANCER, PENILE CANCER, BREAST CANCER, PANCREATIC CANCER, VAGINAL CANCER, CERVICAL ILLNESS, POLIO DISEASE, ALZHEIMER, BULIMIA DISEASE, COMMON INFLAMMATORY DISEASE CYSTIC FIBROSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, CORNEAL ULCER, EPILEPSY, FETAL ALCOHOL SPECTRUM, LICHEN PLANUS, INFERTILITY, SHINGLES, BADRONOLE DISEASE, CHEST DISEASE / AIDS, AND BEHAVIORAL, CHLAMYDIA, ZIKA VIRUS, EMPHYSEMA, TUBERCULOSIS LOW SPERM COUNT, ECZEMA, DRY COUGH, ARTHRITIS Contact Dr James through  email address   Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com  

    ReplyDelete